University of Life

The benefits of a self-lead education…

There is no entrance exam.

There are no age limits.

You do not know who the Professors will be.

You do not know what the classes will be.

You do not know when the tests will happen.

The campus spans the globe.

You determine the pace.

You are the major.

It will be interesting.

It will not require you to go into debt.

You will make friends along the way.

You never have to graduate.

You can take a break any time you want.

The only prerequisite is a desire to learn.

You are the Dean, the Student and the Mascot.

It is as fun or as tedious as you make it.

You get to change your major at any time.

Recess Frickin’ Rocks!

Action: Leave a comment telling us what classes you are in right now and what tests you are taking in the University of Life.

Other posts you may be interested in:

10 Responses to University of Life

1. Adrianne January 7, 2012 at 11:42 am #

University mom and university best job ever? Right now we are failing potty training 101 lol but remedial classese are underway. BJE-U is blazing super fast and learning that I can in fact do this is quite exhilarating.

• Mike Routen January 8, 2012 at 2:16 am #

Adrianne,

I’m with you on the potty training 101. Our 3 year old daughter says that she wants to use the potty, but when it comes time to do so she decides that she doesn’t want to. Oh well, sooner or later things will click for her. Sooner would be nicer for us. 🙂

I’m sure that I’m missing something obvious, but what is BJE-U? What ever it is, I’m glad that things are happening and that you are learning that you can do it. Isn’t it great when a “class” clicks and you get in the groove? Usually what we were so concerned about doesn’t come to pass and we realize that we are capable of doing so much more than we thought.

Thanks for stopping by!

Mike

• Adrianne January 10, 2012 at 9:11 pm #

Haha BJE-U is Best-Job-Ever Univerisity lol- I just have a lot to learn still but I enjoy it.
        Paige – Homeschooling is something we are considering just for that reason. I want my daughter to enjoy her education, not dread it. And she has so much fun learning and exploring now, I cant imagine her losing that zest.

She’s 2 and we face that same problem Mike. She loves going to the potty but its always NO! when we ask her if she wants to go. We are trying the favorite undies method. But take it slow and let them choose – I think thats a surefire way for success 🙂

2. Paige | simple mindfulness January 7, 2012 at 5:28 pm #

We’re unschooling our three kids (currently ages 2, 5 & 7) which follows this kind of game plan. I think the current school system, including universities, is not able to keep pace with the changes that we’re experiencing in our culture and are keeping kids and adults behind the curve. The only option is to take responsibility for our own education – a process that has no end, thankfully. The more I explore and learn with my kids, the more I learn and I love it.

I love Adrianne’s potty training example. Kids start learning as soon as they’re born and never stop. I don’t quite understand why parents think they can’t educate their kids when they’ve already been doing it since their child’s birth. The educational system has done a great job of making us feel inadequate.

There’s an article on Tim Ferriss’ blog (www.fourhourworkweek.com) about this topic that provides a guide to adult self-education that I HIGHLY recommend reading – and experiencing: http://ow.ly/8lu2j (8 Steps to Getting What You Want… Without Formal Credentials)

• Mike Routen January 8, 2012 at 2:22 am #

Paige,

That is fantastic! We were home/un schooling our son until he decided that he really wanted to to go school this year. We were able to get him into a local Montessori school. He is finding out that he really misses the time that he had with mommy/teacher and is looking forward to getting back into home/un schooling next year.

I totally agree with showing our kids that we can learn something every day and it doesn’t require a teacher in a classroom. If we are open to letting our experiences teach us, then our learning never really does end.

Chris Guilebeau’s book The Art Of Nonconformity talks quite a bit about self-lead education. I’ll have to check out the article on Tim’s blog. Thanks for the link!

Thanks for stopping by,

Mike

3. Cara Stein January 9, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

I’m taking about 16 credits of Foundations of Entrepreneurship, and I squeezed in 4 credits of overload on Discovering Zen and Life Balance. We’ll see how that works. lol

The tests: at the end of the semester, will I have my sanity and enough money to live on?

4. Jonathan Mead January 12, 2012 at 12:04 am #

Great stuff here Mike. Like the way you stepped outside of the norm with this style of post.

• Mike Routen January 13, 2012 at 4:47 pm #

Jonathan,

Thank you, it’s fun to mix things up a bit.

Thanks for stopping by!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. If You Want to Finish More, Do This | Illuminated Mind - February 9, 2012

[…] that seems deceptively simple. But it’s absolutely true. I think it’s the highest leverage skill or trait you can possible […]

2. How I Stay Productive and Get Massive Amounts of Shit Done | Illuminated Mind - February 23, 2012

[…] sure that what I’m doing is in alignment with my reason why and relates to my long-term vision. Without that, what I’m doing right now has no […]